- 1. Enzymes are composed of _________________ monomers/building blocks.
A) nucleic acids
D) amino acids
E) fatty acids
- 2. The portion of the enzyme-substrate complex that is not used up during a chemical reaction.
A) active site
B) activation energy
- 3. What happens to an enzyme when it is denatured?
A) It becomes stronger
B) Activation energy is lowered
C) Activation energy is raised
D) It loses its shape
E) It can catalyze more reactions
- 4. What is the optimal pH for the enzyme Salivary Amylase?
- 5. Enzymes make reactions go _____ by __________ the activation energy of the reaction.
- 6. Which line on the graph represents a catalyzed reaction?
B) none of the above
C) both red and blue
- 7. What is the optimal temperature for Enzyme GlenKappie?
A) 0 degrees
B) 88 degrees
C) 43 degrees
D) 60 degrees
E) 73 degrees
- 8. True or False: Enzymes are fatty acid catalysts
- 9. In catalyzed reactions, the reactants are converted into products much slower than they would without a catalyst. True or false?
- 10. Chemical reactions possess an activation energy barrier that must be overcome for the reaction to occur. True or false?
- 11. Why can't living cells use heat to provide the activation energy for their reactions?1. Heat is not readily available to all living cells2. Heat at excessive amounts denatures proteins3. When a critical point of heat level is reached, the proteins and cell can lose their function4. Heat doesn't provide the activation energy for their reactions
A) 2 and 4
B) 1 and 4
C) 2 and 3
D) 1 and 3
E) 3 and 4
- 12. Living cells can rely on high levels of heat as a source of activation energy. True or false?
- 13. Defined, a substrate is:
A) The reactant that an enzyme acts on when it catalyzes a chemical reaction
B) None of the above
C) The product that an enzyme acts on when it catalyzes a chemical reaction
D) A and B
- 14. The substrate binds to a particular site on the enzyme to which it is attracted. True or false?
- 15. The substrate and active site must contain distinctive shapes for binding to occur. True or false?
- 16. An increase in temperature results in an:
A) None of the above
B) Increase in speed of enzyme activity
C) Increase in concentration of enzyme activity
D) All of the above
- 17. Every enzyme has an optimal temperature and pH. True or false?