- 1. In early spring we start to look for the tulips we _____ as bulbs in the fall.
- 2. Each year the people of Hawaii hold a _____ to honor Kamehameha, the first great king of the islands.
- 3. Eagles hunt snakes, small _____, and other birds up to the size of small turkeys
- 4. When my dog is hungry, she _____ every command to sit and stay until I feed her.
- 5. Lit up by the moon, the lake looked celestial, catching the _____ of a thousand glittering stars.
- 6. She woke up in a flood of bright light _____ by shadowy figures who talked in strange voices.
- 7. Ice helps _____ food because the cold temperature causes bacteria to become less active.
- 8. As the graduation speaker _____ on and on, Jenny looked at her watch for the twentieth time and thought of all she wanted to become.
- 9. The room was dark, so dark that even after giving her eyes a while to accustom themselves to the _____, she still could see nothing.
- 10. If you put a pencil in a glass half-filled with water, the submerged end of the pencil seems _____ from the half above the water.
- 11. The first control of traffic was done by foot patrolmen who _____ with their hands before they had hand-controlled traffic signals.
- 12. The word “igloo” brings to my _____ visions of dog sleds, endless nights and fishing through holes in the ice.
- 13. The tour guide in Yosemite National Park watched the _____ closely and threatened to fine them if they continued to pick wildflowers
- 14. Many times young people injure themselves in a single thoughtless lie that results in the permanent loss of _____ of other people.
- 15. When Patrick Henry in his speech against the Stamp Act said, “Caesar has his Brutus,” he _____ the Americans could overthrow King George.
- 16. Janis _____ paper, paints and paste and set to work to make her own Christmas cards with a snow scene and greeting.
- 17. Detectives such as Sherlock Holmes always solve the mystery because no one else can break the secret code or _____ the clues.
- 18. Whoever made the miles of giant, straight lines and the _____ from rocks found on the plateau in southern Peru continues to remain a mystery.
- 19. “If you wanted Henry’s truck,” she said, her _____ becoming shriller as she got even more angry, “why didn’t just you buy it instead of asking my father?”
- 20. Because of the high cost of butter fats, _____ are made from animal or vegetable fats flavored to taste like butter.
- 21. When Grandfather would say “It takes a heap of living in a house to make a home,” I only half understood until the twister _____ our neighbor’s house.
- 22. The _____ through the treetops focused on the sparrows pecking nervously in the grass, and left hidden the cat that lurked nearer and nearer the edge of the shadows.
- 23. When Joan of Arc was thirteen, she began to hear “voices” which she said told her that she must bring _____ to France by having Dauphin Charles, heir to the throne, crowned king.
- 24. In the wood yard, I walked through a raging _____ between red ants and black ants that were much larger but frequently outnumbered two-to-one by the smaller red enemy.
- 25. Even though the furniture in the log cabin was adequate, it was _____ and sparse, and much of it was built-in, such as bookcases, bunk-type beds and even the televisions which were set in the walls.