- 1. Mount Rushmore is a huge carving in the side of a stone cliff. The carving is of four U.S. presidents. The presidents are George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln. The main idea of this story is?
A) What Mount Rushmore is
B) Where Mount Rushmore is
C) The name of the presidents
D) How many presidents the U.S. has had
- 2. Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. How many pickled peppers did Petter Piper pick? What is the Main Idea of this alliteration?
A) What an alliteration is
B) Picking Peppers
C) Who is Peter Piper
D) Why is Peter Piper picking peppers
- 3. Mercury is one of the planets in our solar system. Mercury moves around the sun like the other planets. Mercury is the closest planet to the sun. It is very hot there. What is the main idea of this passage?
A) Mercury is very hot
B) Mercury is the closest planet to the sun.
C) What Mercury is like
D) The planets of the solar system
- 4. In parts of California the fall is very hot. Often hot winds blow. If someone starts the smallest fire these winds will make the small fire become a large fire. Because of tall weeds these fires spread very quickly. What is this paragraph about?
A) Hot winds
B) Fighting forest fires
C) Fires in California
D) California's dry season
- 5. Immigrants are people who come to another country to live. In the late 1800s, many immigrants came to the U.S. They came to build a better life for their family. What is the main idea of this passage?
A) The U.S. is a new country
B) The late 1800s
C) Building new homes
D) Immigrants coming to the U.S.
- 6. As young child we all enjoy reading about the adventures of Arthur. These wonderful stories were written by Marc Brown. Mr. Brown bases his characters on people he knows. The character D.W. and Francine are like his sisters. What is the main idea?
A) Why Arthur is an aardvark.
B) Where Marc Brown gets the ideas for his characters.
C) How Marc Brown started writing Authur books.
D) Why Marc Brown's books have so many characters.
- 7. Girls all over the world enjoys playing with dolls. Dolls serve as playmates, and an outlet for many emotions. This toy is made to look like human beings to help children identify with the doll. What is the main idea of the story?
A) The size of dolls.
B) When dolls were made.
C) Dolls look like people.
D) Girls enjoy playing with dolls.
- 8. Dr. Seuss was an American writer and illustrator. He was best known for his children books. We have all enjoy the clever rhymes, and wonderful creatures. Dr. Suess's invented silly words have often delighted young readers. What is the main idea?
A) Dr. Seuss' rhymes.
B) Dr. Seuss was an American Writer and Illustrator.
C) Dr. Seuss's silly words.
D) Dr. Seuss' birthday.
- 9. 10,000 settlers pitched tents in the center of Oklahoma in the year of 1889. The city of Oklahoma City was formed. Soon after building were built and it was named as the state capital of Oklahoma. What is the main idea of this passage?
A) When Oklahoma City was settled.
B) 10,000 settlers living in tents.
C) The United States of America.
D) The year 1889.
- 10. Stegosaurus was an unusual looking dinosaur. It had a very small head. Along the back of the stegosaurus was large triangle shaped plates. What was the main idea of this passage?
A) Stegosaurus was an unusual dinosaur.
B) The back of the stegosaurus.
C) A dinosaur with a small head.
D) Triangle shaped plates.