- 1. This is known as the "meat" of the story.
A) main idea
- 2. When looking for similarities and differences, what are you working on?
A) main idea
- 3. This is known as the reason why someone writes a story.
B) author's purpose
- 4. These are the parts of the story that help you find the main idea.
C) supporting details
- 5. This is known as a reason why an event happens in a story.
D) main idea
- 6. This is known as the result or consequence of an event that happens in a story.
- 7. Birds' feet and legs are different from the feet and legs of humans. What looks like a bird's legs are actually its very long feet. What looks like a human knee is actually the bird's ankle joint. Unlike humans, birds walk on their toes. Main idea?
A) Different birds have different kinds of feet.
B) Bird feet are different from human feet in many ways.
C) Birds walk on their toes.
D) Birds have ankle joints, not knees.
- 8. It's easy to spot the largemouth bass. This fish is the largest member of the sunfish family. It is green with dark spots. There is a dark stripe on each side of the fish. The largemouth bass may be grow to be 12-14 inches long. Main Idea?
A) The largemouth bass can be found in Texas.
B) The largemouth bass is green with dark spots.
C) It is easy to spot the largemouth bass.
D) This fish is part of the sunfish family.
- 9. Different rocks are used in different ways. The way a rock is used depends on its color, feel, shine, and hardness. Granite and marble are used for buildings and monuments. Graphite is soft and dark and used in lead pencils. What is the main idea?
A) Rocks are formed in different ways.
B) Graphite is used in lead pencils.
C) Different rocks are used in different ways.
D) Rocks break down over time.
- 10. Helen and Ann were best friends. They liked to do many activities together. In the summer, they both liked to swim and build sandcastles. In the winter, they went ice skating. Their favorite thing to do together was to ride horses. Main Idea?
A) Their favorite thing to do was ride horses.
B) Helen and Ann liked to do the same things.
C) Helen and Ann lived close to each other.
D) Helen and Ann liked swim in the summer.
- 11. People look up to Abe Lincoln for many reasons. He was the 16th president of the U.S. His nickname was "Honest Abe". He liked to read when he was growing up. He was president during the Civil War. He kept the country together. Main Idea?
A) Abe Lincoln was the 16th president.
B) Abe Lincoln kept the country together.
C) People look up to Abe Lincoln for many reasons.
D) Abe Lincoln liked to read.
- 12. There are many different kinds of forests. Each kind of forest has different kinds of trees, soils, plants, and animals. Mixed forests have some trees that lose their leaves. Tropical rainforests consist of palm trees. Main Idea?
A) There are many different kinds of forests.
B) Some trees in mixed forests lose their leaves.
C) Forests have different kinds of soil.
D) It is fun to visit forests in the United States.
- 13. Antarctica is a continent that is covered in ice. It took explorers many years to find it, for several reasons. It is very far away from other continents. The waters around it are also very rough. Night hides the land 4 months each year. Main Idea?
A) There are many reasons why it took so long to find Antarctica.
B) Antarctica is continent that is covered in ice.
C) The waters around Antarctica are very rough.
D) Night hides the land for 4 months out of the year.
- 14. It is fun and easy to make an ice cream sundae. First, peel a banana, cut it up, and put in a bowl. Then add a scoop of your favorite ice cream. Pour on some hot fudge or carmel sauce. Finally, add some whipped cream, a cherry, and enjoy. Main Idea?
A) Finally, add some whipped cream, a cherry, and enjoy.
B) Pour on some hot fudge or carmel sauce.
C) It is fun and easy to make an ice cream sundae.
D) Ice cream is fun to eat.
- 15. Read this situation. Decide what the effect is. A dog was playing out in the middle of a busy road.
A) The dog was having fun.
B) The dog saw a cat.
C) The dog was chasing a ball.
D) The dog got hit by a car.
- 16. When you are looking for similarities only between two different things, what are you doing?
- 17. When you are looking for differences only, between two different things, what are you doing?
- 18. This is when you use what you read plus what you already know to figure out something about the story.
A) make an inference
B) make a guess
C) make a prediction
D) make an assumption
- 19. This is known as the order of events in a story. Signal words actually help you figure this out!
A) problem solving
- 20. When you take clues from the author and use what you already know to help you understand the story, this is what you are doing.
A) drawing conclusions
B) comparing and contrasting
C) finding the main idea
D) making an inference
- 21. "My mom makes the best chocolate chip cookies on our block!" (This is an example of what reading skill?)
- 22. "Students in Bartow, Florida scored in the 90th percentile on the state test in 2012." (This is an example of what reading skill?)
- 23. What does it mean to explain what a story is about without too many details, in a brief statement?
A) to summarize
B) to contrast
C) to conclude
D) to infer
- 24. Which of the following is NOT one of the reasons an author writes a story, according to what we learned about author's purpose?
A) to entertain
B) to inform
C) to infer
D) to persuade
- 25. When something goes wrong in a story, this is what we call it.
A) the problem
B) the cause
C) the solution
D) the effect