- 1. A couplet is formed by _________.
A) two rhyming lines of poetry
B) five rhyming lines of poetry
C) four rhyming lines of poetry
D) five alternate rhyming lines
- 2. Which of the following is not a theme in the poem "The Grieved Land of Africa"?
A) The oppression of women
B) The power of time
C) The importance of song
D) Joy of retirement
- 3. Which is a Non-African Poetry?
A) Black Woman
B) The song of the women of my land
C) The leader and the led
D) The Good Morrow
- 4. The poem " The leader and the led is written by ___
A) Oumar Farouk
B) Niyi Osundare
C) John Kolosa
D) Wole Soyinka
- 5. The poem " Black Woman" has it's setting in _______
- 6. The major theme in the poem "Black Woman" is _
B) Blackness as a subject of beauty
C) African Land
D) Rejection of European standard of beauty
- 7. In the poem" The Grieved Land of Africa" degrading......dance, sweat......seas, flower......forest, jingling.......jailers, victorious voice, decked......dances, baobabs....... balances are examples of ________
- 8. The subject matter in the poem" The song of the women of my land' is on _____
A) The training of African women
B) The endurance of African women
C) the plight of African women
D) The beauty of African women
- 9. Enjambment is also called _______
B) Rhetorical question
- 10. The poem " A Government Driver on his retirement" is a narrative poem
A) I don't know
- 11. A literary device that creates a mental picture of a situation is ______
- 12. The feeling and attitudes of a writer are conveyed by __________
A) are parallel lines
B) have similar spellings
C) convey meaning
D) sound alike
- 14. A writer’s choice of words is his ______
- 15. Which of the following options is the stronghold of poetry?
A) ideas only
B) all of the above
C) emotion only
D) beauty only
- 16. ‘Like the dew on the thorn Like the foam below a valley Like the bubble on a sweet babe born Thou art gone, forever rarely’ The rhyme scheme of the above extract is
- 17. The poem “The Leader and the Led”, is about __________.
A) the animals choosing a leader
B) the animals fighting against man
C) the king of the jungle
D) when to make the right choices
- 18. According to the poem, which animal has a “lethal appetite”?
- 19. Tough like a tiger, compassionate like a doe Transparent like a river, mysterious like a lake" The lines above illustrate the use of ________
- 20. Our need calls for a hybrid of habits”, Proclaims the Forest Sage,' The above refers to the need for __________.